Wednesday 6 February 2013

Retail Therapy Haul - with Paige! (OPI, Chanel, Clarins, MAC and more)


So after many months of not seeing each other, my good friend Paige and I decided it was time we went shopping. I needed this, not only did I actually need to buy Valentines things for my boyfriend but I just needed to get out of the house and do something. I've been feeling kind of stressed lately about a number of things. They're mostly stupid but I do get worked up very easily. Seeing her and doing some good old shopping definitely helped me relax and forget about everything else. Paige also has a blog which you can access HERE. I decided to take snaps of what she and I bought and do a little haul on the products so here it is!


MAC Pro Performance Sponge
This is actually the only thing I got for myself. Everything else was for my boyfriend for Valentines Day. I would post those things but he reads this blog and I'd rather keep his presents a secret. I decided to get this because it is practically the only tool I haven't tried for applying foundation. I really dislike using a brush, I just don't get along with it and I've been tempted to buy a BeautyBlender for quite a while, however, the only places I've seen them available are online and in the London branch of Selfridges. I didn't want to order it online as I'm impatient and I wanted a new make up toy to play with as soon as possible and I don't know when I'll next be in London to pick one up from Selfridges. I remembered seeing this in MAC a couple of months ago and thought I'd search online for a comparison between this and the BeautyBlender. The main things I picked up are that it's not as 'bouncy' as the BeautyBlender and it gives a more natural coverage. This was fine by me as I don't have really bad skin anyway. I'm yet to use it but hopefully I'll really like it. It's kind of depressing that I've got so excited about what is essentially a sponge. This was £15 from MAC cosmetics

OPI The Top Ten
Everything from this point is what Paige bought, I'll be basically paraphrasing what she told me about the products at the time. We found this gem in TK Maxx for £20. It's normal retail price is apparently almost £30 so this was a good discount. When we got back to her house we swatched each of the colours and here's what we found. Alpine Snow is quite patchy when applied to a whole nail so it's best used in a French Mani along with Bubble Bath. Tickle My France-y was a really nice nude which is perfect for this season. Kiss Me on My Tulips is what Paige described as a 'Barbie pink' and it really is, it has great coverage and would look good after just one coat. I'm Not Really A Waitress was a favourite of both of ours. It's a gorgeous rich red with a hint of shimmer. Lincoln Park After Dark was my favourite colour in the set, it was a super blackened red and now I'm majorly lusting after it. The formula of every polish was great except for two, Alpine Snow and You Don't Know Jacques! which were both a little watery, this led to uneven application. Overall though this is a set I'd have bought myself but there was only one left and I'm currently on a nail polish no-buy. Gutting. 

Bed Head Extreme Straight Shampoo and Conditioner
TK Maxx always seem to be stocked up on these salon size bottles of Bed Head shampoos. They have a big variety too and I've always been tempted to buy one but I'm too in love with my Aussie Miracle Moist to do it at the minute. Paige however, decided to buy two. They were only £10 each and a bottle like this will last for a very long time. She chose the extreme straight variety because she always wears her hair straight, it just made sense. It smells like vanilla with a little hint of orange. I think all Bed Head products smell amazing though, my hairdresser uses them when she's washing my hair and I just sit there sniffing up the aroma. I must look very odd. 

Clarins Pure and Radiant Mask with Pink Clay
While in Boots Paige made the great discovery that one of her gift cards contained £150. She decided to treat herself and this is what she got. I know she uses a lot of Clarins skin care and absolutely loves it. This product actually looks a little bit like foundation, the clay in it isn't too heavy so it doesn't feel like you need a trowel to smooth it across your face. It also has Grapefruit extract so it has a nice, light fruity smell. This was £20.50 and Paige got it from Boots

Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation
Paige wanted a matte foundation and had heard good things about this particular Chanel one. This shade matches her skin tone perfectly and it looked great on her. The woman on the counter gave me a sample too, of my shade. If it suits me I may have to switch from my beloved Studio Fix... This was £36 and again from Boots. 


Heart Shaped Straws
Paige picked these up from Paperchase as her boyfriend is cooking her a meal for Valentines day and she thought these would be a cute idea to put in their drinks. I don't remember how much they were but I doubt they were more than a couple of pounds. 

Penguin Postcard
I can't really write an explanation for this so I'm just going to say, Paige absolutely adores penguins and she couldn't pass this up. I think it was around 60-80p and again from Paperchase.

Soft Coeur Massage Bar
I recommended this product myself. My boyfriend and I got one quite a while ago and we loved it and I think we've had about 3 or 4 now. It's a little heart shaped massage bar that melts on contact with skin - perfect for pre-bed back rubs I find. In the centre it has a chunk of soft chocolate. It smells like chocolate and honey but it's very subtle and not overpowering in the slightest. Paige bought this for her boyfriend apparently... I think it's more a present to herself, back rubs galore! This was £4.75 from Lush.

Robot Alarm Clock
This was another present for Paige's boyfriend. It's a cute little robot alarm clock. You press the little bolt on it's head to turn it off and its centre is a clock. Again, I'm not sure how much this was but it was from Paperchase. 

So that was our collective haul but now I have a question for everyone. I went in Topshop and found these shoes...
I absolute LOVE them. They're so light and the huge platform makes them comfortable. I also don't feel like I'm tipping forward in them like I do in some wedges. I'm not sure if you can see but they have a little rose gold buckle on the ankle strap which was perhaps my favourite thing about them. However, realistically they are just plain black wedges and they are £75. I think they're new so they'll be in Topshop for a while but I need your help. Should I buy them or are they totally not worth the money? All comments are appreciated! 

I had such a fun time hanging out with Paige. We shopped, we ate (Chicken Katsu Curry at Revolution - wow!) and we had a laugh. Here's a bonus picture of me and her (very grumpy looking) Lhasa Apso puppy Hurley. Hope you enjoyed this haul guys! 




No comments:

Post a Comment